Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My mother's parakeet has watery stools. Buddy and he is

My mother's parakeet has...

My mother's parakeet has watery green stools

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

Buddy and he is about 2 or 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

He has been healthy the whole time she has had the bird. His nails need to be trimmed. I provided a sandpaper perch cover and an abrasive perch. He is not using his cuttle bone.

9/23/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in regard to your question, we do need to tread with care for Buddy. Birds can become dehydrated very quickly which can make them feel poorly. As well, as diarrhea causes nutrient loss, we can see weight loss appear quite rapidly as well. Therefore, we do need to be proactive.

Now in regards ***** ***** for this fecal change, we do have to consider bacteria, viruses, parasites, and protozoa. Furthermore, if this is quite a abnormal green stool and doesn't match any foods he has had, then liver issues would be another worry here. So, we may need him to his local vet as soon as possible.

In the meantime though, there are some steps you can take just now. To start, you do want to make sure he is eating and drinking well. The latter is especially important to counter diarrhea losses. Therefore, if needed we can gently hand feed and tempt him to take both. For fluids, tempt with fruit juice flavoured water or an electrolyte solution (ie Vit-al). Feeding wise, try his favorite foods. You can also get Nutrical paste to supplement his diet (either mixed in food, water, or via syringe) which will provide extra calories or nutrition. Offer fresh foods, high in nutrition and water content like cucumbers, Romaine, grapes, melon, oranges, etc. Hard boiled eggs mashed shell and all are extremely nutritious and delicious to birds. Cooked brown rice is good for them too. If you are comfortable hand feeding you can make a hand feeding paste with hand feeding powder (ie Zupreem Hand Feeding Formula) and the electrolyte solution. Ideally, if you haven’t hand fed a bird before, you should have your vet show you how to do this safely.

For the diarrhea itself, check your local pet store for an avian probiotic (ie Avipro plus, Benebac,etc) as this will support his gut and help normalize the gut bacteria present. And if he is very runny, then you can try giving 1-2 ml of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate to slow the diarrhea. As well, with feeding do try also offering high fiber foods (ie canned/cooked pumpkin, brown rice, etc) can also help bulk up these loose stools and reduce them. You can even use veggie baby food as part of hand feeding him. Of course, if these signs linger over 24 hours despite the above, then we'd want your local vet to see him and test a stool sample so we can determine which issue is present and nip it in the bud for Buddy

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
I think that his diet may be the problem. He gets a mixture of seeds and small pellets from the best parakeet food sold at Walmart, which I am now thinking is not a healthy diet. Occasionally my mother will let him nibble on a cracker. I will get the probiotic and offer him some of the foods you have suggested. I was thinking of a an antibiotic but after reading your advice I see that could have the opposite effect. I did search for an avian vet but they are all more than one hour from where I live and not sure the trip for the bird would be that good.
Thank you for your advice.

Hello again,

That is a shame there isn't one nearer to you, though you could phone the local small animal vets to see if they have anyone with a bird interest (who could see him +/- consult with one of the further afield specialists if need be). Otherwise, an occasional bit of cracker is fine, but do have a check of his diet as that is so important for them. We want to be feeding very little seed (<10% of his diet daily, else high seed diets can harm the liver). And do check the pelleted diet and consider a good quality option like Zupreem or Harrisons. Furthermore, just to note he can have some fresh food too (of course let's settle the stools first and when introducing try one at a time in little doses to see how he likes it and tolerates it). But I'd note we can give small amounts of chopped carrots, grapes, apples, broccoli, sweet potato, leafy greens, or cooked egg. He can even have a bit of low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt every one to two days as a treat.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.