Rebecca, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  veterinarian since 1985
11877925

Cat caught a hummingbird. tail and back feathers missing. NC

cat caught a hummingbird . tail and back feathers missing . NC resident .I have some experience with birds .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Don't know this just happened . less than an hour . We are keeping warm and calm . I see no puncture woulds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Just gave some sugar water and it perked up .

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am glad to hear you rescued this humming bird. Can it fly?

In most areas of the US, there is a wild bird rehab specialist. Since wild birds like hummers are protected by federal law, these folks are the only people legally allowed to treat wild birds. They also have the knowledge and experience to not only treat birds like hummingbirds, but to do so and still be able to release the birds into the wild. If you tell me where in NC you are, I can find a wild bird rehab specialist in your area.

Until then, keep him confined, safe, with sugar water available. If he seems to be able to fly normally, you might just release him when it is light out.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You . Waterfowl rescue within 70 of my area . I have taken an owl crow and a Dove there . Don't know if it can fly yet . I was aggravated by the marketing junk to get to response . I"ll will 'be glad to pay for your advice . Will it be able to navigate without tail feather. I am also concerned about no back feather and hypothermia ? I will contact carolina waterfowl and see if they can take it .

The waterfowl center is probably the same place you would call. It is hard to say if he can navigate and migrate with a missing tail feather, but he might. The wild bird folks can help with that assessment.

There are still a few hummingbirds at my feeder and our nighttime temperatures go down to the 30s now; he should not get hypothermia in your house.

Thanks for the great rating and let me know what else I can answer.