Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My birds combs have some occasional spots. Dark hard ones to…

My birds combs have some...
My birds combs have some occasional spots. Dark hard ones to white tiny ones. If a smoker flicked their cigarette ash and it landed on your birds comb. It may be nothing and it may be the start of a slow disease. Eyes are clear. No raspy chest. Eating, drinking. They appear happy. Some take naps. I think that's normal for chickens to rest periodically. I have roosters that are difficult on the hens so the spots could be injuries. I've shown pictures to feed store employees that know a lot about poultry. They have called hatcheries and nobody seems to know what to tell me. I called a veterinarian who told me to talk to feed store employees. Ugh. I hope it's nothing.
9/17/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're describing avian pox lesions in different stages of healing. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative combs to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Birds eyes are clear. No runny nose. I put them on Corid because I'm seeing watery poop (Hershey syrup bottle exploded in coop). My family eats the eggs and I have an appointment for some of my birds to go to the butcher on October 2nd so I need to know if we can eat them as well as can they even go? Egg shells are thin and egg yolks are not as orange as they used to be. I was getting some eggs that had very lumpy shells like spirals. I have not seen that in weeks also egg production was down and seems to be picking up. Could these be rooster fighting / hen mating scars? They appear normal. But they are prey animals. Ugh-
IMG_0248.JPGIMG_0248.JPGIMG_0282.JPGIMG_0282.JPGIMG_0307.JPGIMG_0307.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0255.JPGIMG_0255.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0267.JPG

Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Please let me know how to treat if it's not injury from mating /roosters fighting with each other.
If they need medication please let me know if I need to cancel my butcher appointment as well as can we continue to eat the eggs.

0282 - out of focus; unable to assess properly

0248 - abnormal shells - systemic infection or infection limited to genital tract; defective shell gland; stress; overcrowding

0307 - out of focus; unable to assess properly

0255 - normal anatomy (great pic!)

0272 - appear to be healed avian pox lesions

Can you take better focused pics when it's light once again? I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

it's foul pox and just let it run its course? Can the birds still be butchered? Do I need antibiotics for them? Is every bird going to get this?

Yes, with this form of the poxvirus (dry) birds normalize within a few weeks. They're OK to eat but you need to check with your county poultry extension service or health department to see if they can be butchered. The regulations are different from county to county and state to state. No, there's no treatment. You just need to do your best to control flying insects - mosquitoes, mainly - which pass the virus from bird to bird. They've all been exposed but not all will become clinically ill. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

How many birds can I keep in a 12' x 20' coop as well as 5 acres to roam on? I hope it's not over crowding. I had that in my old coop and they pecked each others chest. We built the 12'x20' this summer. Please advise as to amount of birds as I do have quite the variety. I kee my ornimentals my egger sand my meat birds all in the same coop

The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better.

For free range here's what you need to know: Twenty adult chickens produce about a ton of manure per year. Thus, an acre of grass sod can absorb up to the output of 80 chickens. An acre has 43,560 square feet, so yard needs to be at least 545 square feet per chicken, or a square 23 feet on a side.

The Corid for the runny poop, I was planning on giving it to my flock for five days. The dose I'm giving is 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon. Is that a correct amount to give?

You'll need to follow the directions on the label of your Corid product. Here's what I found per gallon:

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

I'm using liquid. So is five days long enough 1 teaspoon liquid per 1 gallon?

5 days minimum...longer if you don't see a positive response...if by the 10th day you haven't seen a positive response another cause of the diarrhea needs to be considered or their coccidia is resitant to amprolium (Corid)

I'm good with 5 acres and I figure my birds each get 3.6 feet per bird in my coop. I do not have a run on my big coop. I just let them roam free when outdoors

That should do.

will the combs return to perfect red combs? Will they stay the way they are? As chickens get old, do their combs get white in them (like gray hairs). I feel my oldest birds 1.5 years old Approximately, haven't had pure red combs in 6-8 months (or was that the foul pox start??)

Yes, unless severe lesions scar the combs. Yes, combs can become weathered and suffer from wear and tear. Frostbite is a common cause of white changes. I regret that I can't know if you were having a pox problem at that time.

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Have a good night. Thank you so much!

it's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hello!I've been busy cleaning my coop with Oxine (no citrus activator used). Fresh litter etc. two times I have gone out and fogged the coop with birds in it with Oxine. I read in a forum to do this with Oxine for respiratory issues as well as foul pox for three daysSo I still have one more evening of that to do. I noticed many birds are clearing up and other birds have fresh new spots. I will continue to keep coop extra clean and fog birds with new lesions I guess. I have week old chicks I'm hoping do not get this. I am still treating water with Corid. I don't see any runny poop but going to keep treating until the weekend. They are in coop in a nursery section.
The baby chicks), but my hens tend to visit when I'm in there working and the door is open. My sweet birds tend to follow me around. Ugh.

Thank you for the good update. You're going to win this battle! Oxine is a "chlorine" disinfectant. It may have efficacy against the pox virus. I know that 5% chlorine bleach does.

I've noticed my little dogs (Pomeranian and Rat Terrier) have lost their appetite to some degree as well as I'm hearing a whistle when my Pomeranian breathes and it's kind of labored at times. I too feel I've got rattling in my chest as well. Could this be from my chickens? Is it possible?

No, avian pox doesn't affect either people or dogs.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
One week old Buff Polish. From My Pet Chicken out of Connecticut, was tipping over, using its wing for balance. Does not have "spread leg". Representative from the hatchery told me Polish chickens have soft spots like silkies and she thought maybe it took a blow to the head in transit. She suggested vitamins E and b12. As well as boiled egg yolk for extra protein. I al doing all that. She appeared better so I put her back with the rest of her flock. I think too much commotion and she was getting trampled in so I pulled her again. Do you think he representative from my pet chicken diagnosis is correct?

Thank you for the photos but regretfully I can't assess this chick's malady from those photos. Although both legs aren't affected, she still can suffer from unilateral "spraddle leg". The supplements are fine; they're not likely to be of value but they won't be harmful. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

They look OK in those photos but it's how she stands that's most important. I believe that "spread leg" refers to spraddle leg. If you're interested in external fixators take a look at this website: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Remember, not all of them are spread as shown in the photos...those are the worst of the chicks for demonstration purposes.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian