Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

There was a bird stuck in my bird feeder. In one of those

Customer Question

Hi. There was a bird stuck in my bird feeder. In one of those suet cages. I helped him get out but he's just flapping around. How do I know if he's hurt or just stunned? I have him inside now because it's dark
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Well, it's a wild bird that I see in my feeder. I call him Maple.
JA: How old is Maple?
Customer: I don't know. I may have seen him last year. Not even sure Maple is the same Maple I see. He's a small brown bird with some light blue and grey feathers.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maple?
Customer: Well, he had a friend/mate with him who did fly away when I freed them. Maple likes to hang out at the feeder. I don't know how to help him. I figured I try to do something at daylight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I will try and help you....so, usually the best thing to do in these situations is to help them out of their situation and then leave them alone.....usually they are in temporary shock but will recover and fly away.....if you have him inside then a box is a good place for him to be with a light cover on top of it....leave a small amount of water in the box.....take box outside in am and allow bird to fly away...if still cannot fly then look for wildlife rehab person in your area...I hope this helps. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB