Scott Perry
Scott Perry,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at El Camino Veterinary Hospital
97381174

We have a 9 year old rooster. We have to trim his beak

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: We have a 9 year old rooster. We have to trim his beak because it hooks around so far he can't eat... This time just a little too far. Just nipped the quick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name?
Customer: He's white.. so "Whitey"
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: Family pet. 7-8 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you were trimming Whitey's beak and there is slight bleeding now. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for confirming. There are a couple of ways to help stop a bleed from a beak or nail trim. The best is to use styptic powder, which can be purchased at a local pet store. If you do not have access to that then corn starch can also be used. It is a little messier and larger volumes are needed, but it typically works.

Please let me know if you have any other question. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Please consider leaving a review. You may do so by clicking on 1-5 stars. This is the only way Experts are able to continue offering help to other customers. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PerryDVM