Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My tiel has a big lump on his neck. He is just 3 months old.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name?
Customer: His name is Rio
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rio?
Customer: He was weak today. Ate a bit less. He had something like a mild seizure a few times :'(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just now he flew uncontrollably around a few times and fell down :(. There is no proper avian vet where I live please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this lump been present? Is it growing in size?

Is it firm, fluidy, or sore to the touch?

Did the seizures appear at the same time?

Where on the neck is it located?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I first saw the lump 4 days ago and it seems to have grown a bit. This corresponded with a change in behavior like change is vocalisation. The lump is firm not fluidy.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The seizures started today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lump is on the neck and he is not letting me take a proper photo. I don't want to trouble him too much
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's red, feels hard to touch and is a little morebthan a centimeter in diameter
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Oh dear,

Now I am quite concerned about your lad.

To see seizures here in the wake of this lump appearing suggests that the two may be linked. That plus how quick the lump has appeared suggests we have an abscess but we cannot exclude a bleed/hematoma. Unfortunately in this case, there won't be much you can do at home. If he will allow you could warm compress the lump to see if you could reduce it (as we can for some bleeds), but both of these concerns would warrant a visit to the local (even non-avian vet). Any vet should be able to assess this and sample the lump. If it is pus, it may need to be drained and antibiotics started which should help if we have a bacterial blood stream infection causing the seizures. Otherwise if it is a hematoma, then anti-inflammatories could be started to reduce it as we give his body time to make up for the blood loss from the blood vessels.

Overall this is a tricky situation. While we can see seizers for a lot of reasons in birds (nutritional deficiencies, infections/bleeds/growths/ swellings in the brain, organ dysfunction, etc); with the lump at the same time these two would be our main concerns. And unfortunatly they aren't issues that can be readily managed at home. So, even if you don't have an avian vet, its worth seeing a local small animal vet so we can get these 2 concerns checked fo rand the above medication dispensed +/- anti-seizure medication (as they will carry all of these) so we can help your wee one.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.