Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

What is the best treatment option for Quaker bird with

Customer Question
torticolis. Was treated for ear...
What is the best treatment option for Quaker bird with torticolis. Was treated for ear infection 2 months ago and now his neck still is twisted
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
9/7/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Barbara, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that torticollis due to otitis interna/otitis media (internal ear/middle ear infection) may not fully resolve once the disease has been treated. In most cases a special enclosure is provided that minimizes the risk of such a patient hurting himself. Alternatively, sampling his external ear and/or choana - the slit between his nasal and oral cavities and performing a bacterial culture and sensitivity might be considered in the case that resistant bacteria persist in his ear and would require additional treatment.

Additional - albeit rarer - conditions that can result in torticollis in pet birds include disorders of cranial nerve XI and roundworm migration into the brain. Paramyxovirus, West Nile virus, and the equine encephalomyelitises can also result in torticollis but are far more commonly infections of poultry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.