Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Two of my guinea fowl have swollen eyes unable to open them.

Customer Question

Two of my guinea fowl have swollen eyes unable to open them. They do not seem to have any other symptoms no discharge. Can you give me an idea as to what the problem may be.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: They are guinea fowl part of a flock born late last year from a home flock
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: There don't seem to be any other symptoms. I have left them in th coup rather than let them wander during the day with the rest of the flock
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Hinson and I would like to try and help you.

Any chance you could post a photo of the swollen eyes for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you send a valid email address cannot seem to get it through. Thank you Delene
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to fill my Australian no but would not accept it. I have taken a photo as requested just need an email address to send it to.

There is no email address to send it to. You either have to attach it here which should be easy to do - just click the paperclip icon and attach. If that does not work some people will make a Flickr or other photo account, post it there and upload the link here so we can refer to it.

Can you tell me if the eyes are swollen all the way around? Any discharge or crusting? Can they open them at all? Are they eating? In both birds, are both eyes affected?

Hello. Just checking to see if you got my last message. Any update for me?