Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

She is not using her right leg on the perch, except once in

she is not using her right leg on the perch, except once in awhile she will rest it on the perch. Otherwise her leg is hanging at the side, not tucked up under.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** *****'s about 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Miko?
Customer: No, she has seemed really healthy, no other problems until I noticed this a couple of days ago. She live with one other budgie

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I must say that I am quite worried about your lass if she isn't able to weight bear properly on her right leg. Since it sounds like she has some feeling/movement with the leg, we'd hope to put worries of spinal issues lower on our list of concerns for her. Though if she often leaves it hanging, then we do have to consider nerve issues and possible abdominal masses (from reproductive or kidney tumors) on top of hairline fractures, hip dislocation, tendon damage, and severe muscle strain.

Now with this all in mind and knowing that this is severely painful for her if she is willing to show any signs at all (since bird instinct tells them to hide illness if they can do so), we'd want to be proactive for Miko. Ideally, we'd want her local vet to see her as soon as possible to check for those above worries and start bird safe pain relief for her. That way we will know which issue is present and whether we can cure it for her. Any delay and you can use a tiny dose of Ibuprofen (0.5mg per 100 grams of her weight every 12-24 hours after food). To give this, you will need to use the liquid pediatric ibuprofen (note that is pediatric, not infant, the dosage in each is different) to ease her discomfort until we can have this checked and make sure there is nothing worsen then a strain present.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.