Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

It looks like Chico has a little lump on his neck and he is…

Customer Question
It looks like Chico...

It looks like Chico has a little lump on his neck and he is making a strange gulping motion… He's also very puffed up and closing his eyes a lot. I just was given my poor cockatiel back after four years and this is looking like he is in really bad shape.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name?

Chico

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chico?

His brother died about 6 months ago but I don't know why.. I wasn't living with the birds at the time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your cockatiel. A mass or lump in the neck could indicate a variety of serious medical problems including a crop bacterial or fungal infection, an abscess or pocket of pus from an infection, a tumor or several other problems. The signs you mentioned of Chico being quiet, having fluffed up feathers and closing his eyes all indicate a potentially serious illness. Birds try to hide their signs of illness since they are prey animals. Therefore by the time they show clinical signs such as those you mentioned the problem is usuallly life threatening and requires attention by a veterinarian familiar working with birds.
I recommend you contact a local veterinarian for assistance. You can find a local veterinarian to help you by doing an online search for American association of avian veterinarians. They have access to a list of reliable veterinarians by stateroom province.I hope this has answered your question. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I wish you and Chico all the best.Dr. Adamski
State or province not stateroom. My apologies.
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian