Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a chicken, and she has an open wound on her right…

Customer Question
I have a chicken...

I have a chicken, and she has an open wound on her right side under her wing. There are alt of flies buzzing around her. Should we try to wash the wound?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the chicken bleeding a lot?

There is some blodd-not a lot. Our dog got loose yesterday, and she got scared and ran away, and has been gone all night. She must have found a good hidng place, but she came bak to us and was calling out to us in the front yard. This probably sounds crazy

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the chicken's name and age?

Penny-2.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the chicken?

She is very tame-in good health

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/6/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, please bring Penny inside and thoroughly lavage the wound area with warm water and either a solution of chlorhexidine (Hibiclens in your local drug store) or Vetericyn solution found where pet supplies are sold. This should be done daily. Don't apply a topical cream or ointment unless prescribed by an avian vet (www.aav.org) who may also prescribe a systemic antibiotic you would dose directly into Penny's mouth once or twice daily. If she's already fly struck (you can see maggots), the maggots will need to be manually removed. Please keep her inside so fly strike isn't possible until the wound is well healed. This is how that might be done: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?