Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird flew out of his cage as he normally does but this time flew into a wall. He is now breathing heavy and eyes closing

He flew out of...

He flew out of his cage as he normally does but this time flew into a wall. He is now breathing heavy and eyes closing and has now tucked his head backwards into his neck. His puffing up his feathers as well. Just does not look well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

No he has always been healthy

His tail is bobbing as he breaths. Have put him near an open window for some fresh air. He is not talking other than a light cherp every so often
8/6/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is he just now? Still quite depressed?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

If Charlie will allow, can you check his oral mucosa/gum color and tell me if it is pale?

I counted 19 x 6 = 114He is not letting us grab him so I don't want to stress him more

No worries, we don't want to distress him more.

Though I have to say that I am quite concerned about Charlie's respiratory rate there. To see it this elevated after a trauma raises worries of shock or bleeding into the lungs. In this case, we do need to be very careful with him. Ideally, we'd want him to his vet but if he is in a delicate state, the stress may be too much just now. So, for the moment we'd want to treat for shock. When we are supporting shocked birds, we want to move them to a quiet location that is warm (86-90 degrees F), secluded, dimly lit. Ideally, he could be placed in a single level cage that has easy access to food/water and you can line the floor with soft substrate (ie wash cloth, towel, etc). A heating pad can be placed beneath half the cage if need be. Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer for the bird from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn the bird. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat him (and we cannot be confident he would move himself if he grew too warm). If he does settle, we can monitor and hopefully he will perk up. Though if he continues to struggle to breathe like this, we'd need to risk a vet visit as we may need him on oxygen until the lung can absorb any blood there and return to normal function.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

5

Thank you, ***** *****

Best wishes for wee Charlie,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian