Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just sent a question. In case it was not received - a

Customer Question
I just sent a question...
I just sent a question. In case it was not received - a hummingbird flew into our window last week. It can't fly. The one wing is at an upward angle. Don't know if it is broken or
Dislocated. Would love to get it back outside but it would not survive. Help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/6/2017
Bird Veterinarian: DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian
Customerresponding to your questions and concerns regarding the injured hummingbird.
It's best chance for survival will to get to a local or regional wildlife rehab facility, or an individual rehaber with bird experience.Tonight put the hummer in a small shoe box with holes in the lid, use lots of shredded paper towel for padding, put in a quite dim area of the house. Keep the resident dogs & cats away.For calories & fluids use an eye dropper to give sugar water. Hummingbirds have a Very High calorie need!! Short term the sugar water you make for the feeders is ok. Long term, protein needs have to be meet.Unfortunately the local rehab facility may not be open till Monday.Call your area AEC, Animal a Emergency Clinics, Animal Shelters, Animal Control, as well as doing online searching.Will monitor for your questions.
Thank You for using Just Answer
Customerfollowing up on the hummingbird.
How did it go last night?
Have you been able to locate a wildlife rehab center?