Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My daughter found a robin, still with speckles floundering…

Customer Question
My daughter found a...

My daughter found a young robin, still with speckles floundering around and unable to fly. It looks like both the wing and possibly a leg are injured. I know the rehab center is not open until morning. How should be handle this for the night?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No. It's sitting off to the left on what appears to be the injured leg. I didn't see an injury but it seems unable to sit square. The left wing spread out. the right wing is tucked in close.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the bird's name and age?

This is a wild robin, adolescent age. Looks like it could fly before whatever happened to it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

It's bright eyed and alert. Floundering around in the box. Should we feed it anything? Or give it water? Any ideas about how to do that?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/6/2017
Bird Veterinarian: DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian
Customerresponding to your questions and concerns regarding the injured robin.
Until you can get it to the rehab center, place it in a box with large amount of shredded paper or paper towel to provide cushioning, in a dim & quite area of the house.
Please keep the resident dogs & cats away. An emergency baby bird food is kitten food puréed in a blender, starting with Can food & adding water works best. Use an eye dropper or syringe. When taking pictures/video avoid flash & bright light.
Good Luck
The animals of the world say Thank You.
A small shoe box with lid works best, ***** ***** in lid with pencil, pen, screw driver.