Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I believe he has air sac mites. He is a canary. I treated

Customer Question
I believe he has air...
I believe he has air sac mites. He is a canary. I treated him with ivermetin in his water - 2 doses 2 weeks apart and it really didnt seem to do much. I then waited a few weeks and have treated him with scatt. That was almost 2 weeks ago now. He is still peppy but seems to be having trouble breathing - couchs he sneezes - he opens his beak and wiggles his tongue around. I started him on amoxitech 4 days ago to see if he had a bacterial infetion as a result of the die off of mites. I was really hoping he would be making a turn around by now. I have one more week to wait before I can retreat him with scatt
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Pierry Limone
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: no - he lives with two cordon bleau finches and they are fine
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/2/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's reasonable to repeat Scatt administration but it's important to recognize that an antibiotic designed to be placed in the drinking water won't be effective if only because ill birds won't drink enough water and, in fact, can be dangerous. The FDA has pulled these antibiotics off the counter for that reason. I believe that your canary needs a systemic antibiotic at this time but it will need to be prescribed an avian vet (www.aav.org) and you would dose your bird directly into his mouth once or twice daily for 10-14 days. Respiratory infections are often secondary to hypovitaminosis A caused by a lack of that vitamin in the diet. Finches are scavengers and can eat quite a variety of foods.

For now, add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian