Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our Cockatiel is huddled in the bottom of his cage and seems…

Customer Question
Our Cockatiel is huddled...

Our Cockatiel is huddled in the bottom of his cage and seems to be sleeping a lot. There are no bird vets anywhere near us. He is 20 years old and never been sick. I am afraid it is pscittorius

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

No I don't thinks so. I am not real knowledgeable in diagnosing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/1/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns with your Cockatiel. You have obviously been extremely devoted to caring for your bird, as the normal life expectancy for cockatiels is 16 years, with the more inbred color-mutated birds having a shorter average life span. So, what I am trying to say is this may be just your little bird's time.

It is not psittacosis, as this is a relatively uncommon disease, so do not worry over this. I doubt it is any infectious disease since there have been no previous symptoms.

Most of the time we find the environment &/or diet to be the biggest culprit in sick & diseased birds, but you have given your bird a very long & healthy life.

Make sure your bird is plenty warm & away from air conditioner &/or fan drafts. Increasing the room temperature a few degrees might help ( ideal is 85 degrees with 70% humidity). There are several critical care diets available for birds, but the stress of handling to force feed might be too much for your friend.

Try offering some special treats, but without a hands on exam, & perhaps some diagnostic tests, it is impossible to say if there is much that can be done for your dear companion if he is as old as you say.

I personally have never seen a cockatiel reach 20, so you have done an exemplary job. I wish I could offer you more.

I hope you have found this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian