Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a duck and it can't walk keeps falling down. And also…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a duck and it can't walk keeps falling down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes and also checked for stuck egg

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

It is a peking duck (frazzle) a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Frazzle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about frazzle?

Not that I know of it was doing just fine and about to days ago it started to wobble and fall and not he does not even walk 3 inches and falls down if he can get up. My other duck is just fine

7/23/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any history of a trauma or fall? Any access to toxins?

What are they fed?

Is he dragging or limping on either leg?

Any circling, head tilting, or pressing his head into walls/corners?

If you feel up and down the legs, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? Any joint swellings or puffiness?

he has been like this for 2 days yesterday was the worse day. No trauma or falls.They are fed regular chicken feed from the store.dragging both leggs. Head is fine. I don't feel anything on his leggs his right foot seems a little limp.When I put him in a tub of warm water he was swimming around and playing
If I could afford I would talk on the phone but I'm on a very low fixed income

Hello again,

That is fine, disregard the auto call offer as I am now typing my reply.

Dr. B.

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care here.

Since trauma/injury is less likely and he is dragging the legs, Frazzle's signs are most supportive of a neurological (brain but possibly spinal) issue. Of course, since he has use of the legs when supported by water, paralysis isn't likely but paresis is a concern. Common cases for this are toxin exposure (hopefully less likely), nutritional imbalance (a concern on chicken feed), and infectious agents (ie bacterial, viral, protozoal). Though we can also see brain bleeds/swelling from trauma or masses cause similar signs; but again we'd hope those are less likely here as well.

With these all in mind, the first step is to change that feed even if he is the only one affected (since he may just be sensitive and the others could follow with signs shortly). Ideally, we want him on a duck specific feed but you could add in a vitamin with niacin, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin E, and selenium. At the same time, it would be ideal to have him restricted to a small softly padded pen with easy access to food/water.

Otherwise, if we didn't see improvement with that, we'd again have to consider infectious agents. Specifically, these signs do raise worries of middle ear infections, Duck hepatitis virus, herpes, Toxoplasma (a brain targeting protozoa), or bacterial infection (ie Pseudomonas, Salmonella, etc). So, if we cannot get Frazzle settled with nutritional support then those would be a worry and we'd need to tread with care. And with that, we'd want to have him seen for a neurological examination by the local avian vet. Anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics can be dispensed depending on which is confirmed and that way we can ensure that we treat our treatable issues here and help get him moving normally again.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian