Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I got him back after 4 days of searching. What do I expect

Customer Question

I got him back after 4 days of searching. What do I expect as far as behavior?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Precious. I found him.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?
Customer: He just seems really timid now
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I'm here
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long does it take to talk to someone?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I paid for this app and haven't heard back......
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Precious.

In regards ***** ***** question, this very much will vary depending on what he experienced while away. Often they will be unsure, withdrawn, and shy since they will have been exposed to a lot of stimuli and possible scary/new events. So, his being timid isn't unexpected and you just need to give him time to get settled, feel safe, and get back into a routine with you. Of course, as you do that do make sure to keep home life as normal as possible but also keep a close eye on him. We need to make sure his appetite/thirst/weight all remains stable and that we don't see any lethargy, puffed up feathers or changes generally since the stress of being out does put him at risk of opportunistic infections (as they can get a better foothold when stress hormones are high but incubate 7-10 days). If we were to see signs that he was feeling unwell, then we'd need to have him checked by his vet in case an infectious agent is brewing and needs to be treated for. But otherwise they usually settle back in and regain their personality in a week or two once home.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
People suggest not clipping his wings. I want to take him out as I did my last grey. ?????
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

If we can do so, its best not to clip them. But it does depend on your situation. So, if you do plan to take him out, don't have an aviary or protected garden area he cannot escape, then it may be a necessity for your situation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tytyty. I got him in April from an aviary. He is 15 yrs old. Just trying to do right
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

It does sound like you are doing right by wee Precious. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tytyty
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, :)

Dr. B.