DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner & Veterinarian at Steeplechase Animal Hospital
98743513

One leg is red & he keeps picking at it, doesn't like to use

Customer Question

One leg is red & he keeps picking at it, doesn't like to use it. I'm trying to keep him from bothering it but can't be there every minute. He's hunkered down on his perch, fluffed feathers. Also moolting, which makes him less active than usual. Anything I can do? This has happened before, but I don't know what causes it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I haven't caught him to see. All I can see is that his leg & foot are reddish.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Sunshine, 6 years old.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Sunshine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: Just that he doesn't feel well & I think it's because his foot & leg are uncomfortable.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 3 months ago.
DrRoyC responding to your questions and concerns regarding Sunshine. Can you upload photos/video?
What type of bird is Sunshine?
Sex?
Any other birds?
Last molt?
Please look @ bottom of foot.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've been sitting with him not letting him peck at his foot/leg, and I think it is helping some. He is eating and moving about more. So I think I will be able to handle this without looking at his foot. He HATES to be caught. Thank you for your reply.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is difficult to give a rating since I didn't complete the process.
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 3 months ago.

Do you want to pursue w/o catching Sunshine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thank you. He is doing better. The important thing was just to keep him from irritating it more.
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 3 months ago.

Keep giving Sunshine TLC

Expert:  DrRoyC replied 3 months ago.
DrRoyC following up on Sunshine.