Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Making noises - like a human sobbing, There is food in her

Customer Question

Making noises - like a human sobbing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: There is food in her crop and I saw her eating earlier. But she is making these disconcerting noises continuously.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Aura. I think she is 5 years old. A small Buttercup
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aura?
Customer: She has been laying eggs without a hard shell and the last egg I think she laid did not even have membranes on it.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When shell-less eggs are seen, the most important differential is infection in the genital tract with infectious bronchitis (coronavirus), egg drop syndrome (adenovirus), or Mycoplasma. Her noises may reflect airway inflammation and constriction from either coronavirus or Mycoplasma. Practically speaking, only Mycoplasma can be treated with an antibiotic but in the USA you're constrained to only tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 over the counter and this needs to be given intramuscularly into the breast muscle. That can be done daily at a dose of 5-15 mg per pound of body weight but mycoplasmal infections should be treated for far longer but the tylosin is too damaging to the muscle when given longer than 5-7 days. You'll need an avian vet (www.aav.org) who can prescribe a prescription antibiotic with which you would dose Aura directly into her mouth. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.