Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I have a 3 yr old silliest hen with Dumbledore. It's been 4

weeks. We've been soaking the...
I have a 3 yr old silliest hen with Dumbledore. It's been 4 weeks. We've been soaking the foot in warm water with Epsom salt every other day. We apply drawing salve with a complete bandage. No change at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Silkie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Silkie?
Customer: Chole Auto correct!!!! Bumblefoot
I have her in a dog crate with clean bedding in my kitchen
The hens name is Chole
7/21/2017
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian

DrRoyC responding to your questions & concerns regarding Chole. Bumblefoot aka Dumbledore is a very frustrating problem in birds; parrots, raptors, waterfowl, poultry. Irritation starts on the bottom of the foot from perches, bedding, weight, feces, wetness. The normal thick skin on the bottom of the foot becomes sore like a blister & bacteria come in. The thick skin, tendons. ligaments, tendon sheaths, & gravity all are factors in the lower blood flow to the feet, this is 1 of multiple factors that makes it hard to treat & heal foot problems in all species. In humans as people age the blood flow decreases to the feet. As you work w/ Chole moving & massaging her legs to increase blood & lymph flow, warm compresses, Hydro Therapy (water hose using nozzle on shower setting) the water also increases blood & lymph flow. You are doing an EXCELLENT job with soaks & drawing salve. Over time the infection becomes walled of & the liquid pus (white cells) become very thick, think going from sour cream to hard cheddar cheese. With all this said, what next? Seeing an avian vet would be the next option, or if Chole is not a pet chicken take her out of production. Surgically & as sterile as possible opening & scrapping out the thick & hard pus, then treating with systemic antibiotics (harder since 1-1-17, we have to do a form for food animals), using Honey, colloidal silver, or many other agents in bandages. Money & time are factors.

AAV.org has an avian vet locator. Some of my clients drive 1.5 hours. Will monitor for your response & follow up questions? DrRoyC

She is a pet. Is there an antibiotic that I can treat her with? I see you say to use honey or colloidal silver. Would I administer those orally? She probably weighs 2 lbs at most. Thank you very much for your help

Pet Chickens are wonderful. OTC/Over the Counter antibiotics dried up as of 1-1-17, too much was showing up in milk, meat, and eggs.

The honey or colloidal silver are used on the Bumblefoot sore. A very recent research article looked @ feeding nano silver particles, the silver collected in the liver. When colloidal silver is given orally the toxic effects are; lungs, liver, bone marrow, cancer. Since Chloe's lesion is a month old bone infection is a possibility & grows with time. Do you have access to an bird vet?

Please call & schedule an appointment for Ms. Chloe. In the meantime keep up what you have been doing.If my information has been useful appreciate a + rating, by clicking the stars @ top of toolbar.
Thanks
DrRoyC
Thank you very much Dr. Have a wonderful weekend
I will follow up on Chole.
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian
Thank you sir
DrRoyC
DrRoyC
DrRoyC, Bird Veterinarian