Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

One of my USA looks like she's starting to lose her balance

Customer Question

One of my USA browns looks like she's starting to lose her balance and she's not as social as she was a couple of days ago
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: She's still seeet, but holds her wings out for balance as she walks
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there isn't
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: freckles and she's a3-4 months ild
JA: How old is Freckles?
Customer: 3-4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freckles?
Customer: We've just started letting them free ranger. There are 4 Rhode Island Reds and 2 isa browns. She used to be the more daring of the flock, but now she's falling behind and staying by herself
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ataxia ("drunken sailor") at Freckles's age too often indicates Marek's disease (herpesvirus). Nutritional imbalances resulting in such behavior is rare nowadays with the improved starter feeds available. Toxin ingestion is always a consideration particularly in free rangers but difficult to prove. Please take a look at this site and let me know if you're seeing any other symptoms of Marek's discussed in that site: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease