Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My pigeon is breathing extremely hard with her beak open and…

Customer Question
My pigeon is breathing...

My pigeon is breathing extremely hard with her beak open and making a sqeeking sound. What is that? How can that be treated?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your pigeon?

My pigeon is breathing very hard with her beak open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your pigeon seem to hurt?

She's breathing hard with her beak open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Her breathing is very laboured with her beak open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pigeon's name and age?

Here name is ***** ***** she's 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pici?

Yes, I gave her some metronidazole and baytril which she stopped a few days ago. She also stopped eating yesterday, so we're handfeeding her.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/13/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Pici, please? I must admit I'm worried that you've already lost her as her breathing indicates life-threatening respiratory compromise. Her presentation is considered the pigeon respiratory complex which you can review here: http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/common-pigeon-disease-amp-treatments.aspx (scroll down to "respiratory infection"). I would have this bird in a chamber in which I nebulized either tylosin or doxycycline. I would also inject tylosin into Pici's breast muscle at a dose of 5 mg per pound of body weight once daily for 5-7 days. Tylosin in the form of injectable Tylan-50 is available over the counter in the USA in feed stores and online. I don't know its availability where you live, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.