Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Looks like he has developed a hernia, looks like he strained

Customer Question

looks like he has developed a hernia
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: looks like he strained while pooping. he passed part of an exoskeleton of mealworm. and part of his butt is coming out now. :(
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: bird is 2 weeks old barn swallow
JA: The Veterinarian will know if bird will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bird?
Customer: I am just hoping he will survive this.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is very serious, as it doesn't sound like a hernia. In stead what you have described is a GI prolapse and an emergency situation for a bird (It is an inversion of the vent tissue that has been pushed outside the body preventing normal passage of urine/feces that can lead to peritonitis and be fatal if left). Not to mention it is uncomfortable/painful. Unfortunately, there is no home treatment that will heal this and without intervention we rarely see prolapses settle on their own. Therefore, we'd really want him seen by any vet right away (before complications and severity can progress). They can assess the situation, hopefully replace the prolapse (possibly use stitches to hold it in place) and address the underlying trigger for this untimely prolapse (ie low blood calcium, overproduction of sex hormones, sexual stimulation, stress, or abdominal pressure).

Any delay and you need to keep it clean and moist (use water/wet papertowels +/- KY jelly) so that the tissues from drying and dying off. Of course, we still need him seen urgently since these delicate internal tissues are not meant to be in the dry/dirty world we live in. This means that if this is left for too long the tissue will dry out, die off and rot (which loss of this tissue is not conducive to life). Therefore, it is imperative to get him to the vet as soon as possible to prevent suffering and give him a chance.

Just in case you need a local ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**