Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My hen is egg bound, I put her in a warm bath and lubricated…

My hen is egg...

My hen is egg bound, I put her in a warm bath and lubricated and massaged her vent area. She is really red and swollen, very lethargic. Could I crush some chalk and dilute with water and offer her drops of this. No vet available.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help egg. How old is egg?

Hen is 4 years of age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about egg?

I can't see the egg in the vent area

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If you are meaning to supplement her calcium, instead of chalk consider using OTC Tums (50-100 mg per kilogram of her weight daily). This can be crushed to mix with food or a bit of water to carefully syringe feed. Otherwise, you will want to keep up on your supportive care but can also use a avian vitamin supplement (to cover for Vitamin A, D, E, and selenium). Also make sure to increase her pen's humidity and environmental temperature to 85-95°F to support her. A steamy bathroom can be used in a pinch. And of course with any appetite loss, we may need to also supplement with food and electrolyte solutions to counter weakness or dehydration compounding her situation.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Respone was slow but thorough. ****

Thank you, ***** *****

And I do apologize that my colleagues were not able to aid you before I came online (though as I am sure you can appreciate too few vets treat our feathered friends).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian