Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My chicken has a swollen belly and I brought her inside and…

My chicken has a...

My chicken has a swollen belly and I brought her inside and cleaned her behind and vaselined her up a little. this morning she had a big poop in the cage but shes still very swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

Ellie is her name and she 7 months old. I know she laid two days ago so I was worried about that shes a daily layer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help name. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about name?

Her belly is hot and she had a lot of fluid this morning on the pad I put under her last night.

6/29/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

What color was that fluid?

Is the inside of her mouth pink, yellow tinted, or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this started night before last she couldn't get to the roost. it was mostly clear but it has a strong odor. her mouth is pink inside. she a sweet girl so I knew right away something was wrong

Poor Ellie,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about her.

To see abdominal distension in a chicken raises a range of serious worries. We can see this related to egg binding (but usually we see straining and you'd feel an egg when gently palpating her abdomen) but more often due to enlarged organs, masses, and especially since she is young, fluid accumulation (ascites). Since fluid is our main worry for young birds, we need to appreciate that this can be related to internal bleeding (unlikely since she isn't pale) from trauma, fluid from internal disease (ie heart, liver, complications from low protein, etc) and infection/peritonitis. And it is that last one that I am worried about for Ellie since you noted that her belly feels hot (likely fever).

With this all in mind, we do need to tread with care and be proactive here. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have Ellie seen by your local vet at this stage. The vet will be able to have palpate the abdomen +/- scan to see which issue is lurking. From there, we would ideally want them to take a sterile sample the fluid (which can greatly differentiate between the differentials). If it looks like yolk that would confirm our worries. And for that we need her on antibiotics but if she is quite severely affected we may even need her vet to drain her abdomen to give her a chance here.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you very much I will try to get ahold of my vet and see what they say about where I can take her and if I can just pop in without an appointment. thank you so much for your help. I just needed to hear it from someone who knows more than I do

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and that sounds like an ideal plan of action (I suspect her vet would just fit her in today for you).

Best wishes for Ellie,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian