Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My 6 yr old chicken laying has been put onclavamox 250 mg

Customer Question

my 6 yr old chicken laying has been put onclavamox 250 mg for a foot infection for 28 days isn't that a long time ? and how long before I can eat eggs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: lacy I ask about clavamox
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: no
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, given the difficulty antibiotics can have fully penetrating this area, a 4 week course isn't excessive. Though if Clavamox has been used I need to warn you that this brand isn't licensed for birds. Therefore, for personal use at home, you can eat the eggs 7 days after the antibiotic course if finished but use for the public would be the default 28 days (unless you speak to your vet about ordering in an Amoxicillin preparation licensed for poultry). But for you to eat the eggs, they'd be antibiotic residue free on day 7 after treatment.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**