Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My Golden Wyandott is having difficulty laying. There is

good morning.
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my Golden Wyandott is having difficulty laying. There is mucus around her vent.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Goldy 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goldy?
Customer: She is a consistent layer and hasn't laid an egg for a few days. She is not really lethargic.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is she straining just now?

Can you see an egg? Feel it if you gently palpate her belly?

How many days has she had this mucus?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mucus 2 or 3 days
She doesn't seem to be straining. She does go into nest box. Stands. No egg
Can't see an egg
Vent doesn't look distended

Hello again,

Now I share your concern about Goldy. Though fi you cannot feel an egg despite the mucus, then it does turn our concerns to some other potential issues.

Is the discharge odorous?

What color is the mucus? Clear or opaque?

Does her belly look more distended then before?

Any change to her breathing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Opaque milky mucus
No odor
She is keeping herself away from rest of brood.

Hello again,

Now if she hasn't those other signs, no egg, and no straining; we'd be less worried about egg binding here. Of course, to be safe do make sure she is getting adequate calcium in her diet (ie add in oyster shell, cuttle bone, etc) since low calcium reserves are often at the heart of laying issues in birds. Otherwise, to see opaque milky mucus that is more suggestive of a bacterial or yeast infection in the vent. Therefore, we'd want to start some supportive care for her (as this can be quite irritating and likely why she is off color and withdrawing from the flock). To start, we can bathe her and flush this with warm water or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). Both will help reduce the microorganism load but the salt water can kill off some of those yeast or bacterial present. After you could apply an OTC anti-fungal cream (ie Miconazole, Clotrimazole) to the vent region for 7-10 days. If this persists then we may need to check her local farm supply or have her local vet involved so that Nystatin or Metronidazole can be dispensed to help us nip this in the bud.

Overall, this doesn't sound like a direct egg issue but instead it sounds like we have a vent infection. So, since its not odorous, we'd be most suspicious of the yeast but can start the above to reduce both and see if we can get her settled.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it
Thanks

You are very welcome. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.