PerryDVM
PerryDVM,
97381174

My parakeet is puffed up, sitting on the floor of her cage

Customer Question

hello,
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my parakeet is puffed up, sitting on the floor of her cage in the corner, not being active and playing, always sleeping and not singing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Blubie, app. 8 or 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blubie?
Customer: her dropplings are odd, bobbling tail,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Blubie is lethargic and sitting on the bottom of the cage and bobbing her tail. Can you please tell me if there are any changes to her appetite?

Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I can not stop the offer from being made, but I am able to answer your question with the chat box only if you prefer it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She sits on her food box and i dont know if she eats or not but there are lots of seeds out of her cage that were not opened or opened.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please stop the phone offer, thank you.
Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. Causes for sudden lethargy and tail bobbing often are related to respiratory diseases. This can be from an upper (i.e. nares, trachea) or lower respiratory problem (i.e. lungs, air sacs). One of the most common causes for that are infectious organisms like a virus or bacteria such as Chlamydia. Other possible causes in this situation include airway toxins such as cooking with Teflon or incents/candles, which can be irritating. She should also be screened for reproductive problems such as egg binding. There are some things you can do at home to help, but a visit to a veterinarian for diagnostic tests like x-rays are definitely recommended.

Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

One of the things you can do to help immediately is raise the environmental temperature to 85-90 degrees. Also, raise the humidity level to about 85%. Keep the perches low. This should result in an immediate improvement while you get her scheduled for an appointment soon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can we give the temperature needed without changing the temperature of the house?
Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

That is a good question. Heat lamps are the most safe. Space heaters are less safe as they are difficult to regulate small changes of the temperature.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where can I buy a heat lamp?
Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

Pet store. These are used for reptiles to place over the cage. Don't place it directly over the cage, but 3-5 feet away and pointed toward the cage should be safe. Have a thermometer in the cage - which can also be purchased at a pet store in the reptile location - so you can monitor that it is not getting too hot. You want the temperature not to exceed 100 degrees.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What kind of medication can help?
Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

If it is a respiratory issue then antibiotics will likely be necessary. If it is a bound egg then that needs to be removed. This would require treatments at the hospital such as fluids and pain medications.

Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.

Expert:  PerryDVM replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PerryDVM