Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a turkey just 4 weeks old along with 3 other turkeys

Hi I have a young turkey just 4 weeks old along with 3 other turkeys and 4 chicks all same age. They are loose during the day to roam and yesterday when I went to put them to bed for the night one of the turkeys couldn't stand on his one foot the foot itself is swollen. can this be bumblefoot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Little one
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: It is around our goats as well I thought it either got caught in the fence maybe or perhaps a goat might have stepped on it I really have no idea but I was googling turkey issues and came upon bumblefoot but not sure if he could get it this early in his life?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Where on the foot is swollen (underneath, a toe, all of it)?

If you feel the foot, any tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? Any joint swellings or puffiness there?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken pictures but can't seem to get them loaded at this time however his foot is swollen in the middle of his 3 toes you can see it from the top and the bottom, when I look at the bottom there is a small black spot. I actually didn't flex and extend each joint but I think it is in the middle of his foot that is the problem. Is he too young to have bumblefoot he is 4 weeks old, I say he but we do not know for sure if he is male of female? I sent the pictures to my email could I somehow forward them to you that way?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I think I have found a way to send the pictures of our turkeys foot,

Lovely, I was just typing what to do to post but I see you managed. :)

Now this does raise a few concerns. It does look suspicious of early stage bumblefoot (especially as the black spot is likely our original wound) and that can arise at any age as it is just bacterial infection of the foot tissues. Though with the upper foot based swelling it looks like we have soft tissue trauma and inflammation So, we could have had a traumatic injury with a penetrating wound introducing infection.

With those in mind, we'd want to start supportive care. To do so, we'd want to start him on bird safe pain relief (ie Metacam) from his vet and a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Tetracycline, Tylosin) can be started. Do note that with the upper swelling suggesting trauma, we need to avoid Aspirin due to its blood thinning effects. Otherwise, we can soak his food in warm water with Epsom salt to draw out infection and we'd hope that being proactive at this stage we can nip this in the bud and avoid you needing to open/drain any foot abscesses that can develop.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I have already purchased the epsom salt how often should I soak his foot and for how long and does it need to be bandaged as he is young can he stay with the other 3 turkeys and 4 chickens as he seems to be more content when they are around

Hello again,

Perfect, I would suggest doing it 2-3 times daily for 5-10 minutes if he is amenable. In regards ***** ***** if that wound is open then we'd need to do so +/- pack that with OTC antibiotic cream. To see how to do that, HERE is a wee video (its a chicken being bandaged but the technique is the same). And as long as they aren't bullying him then we can keep them together but if you see any pecking or unfriendly behaviour then he may need to be isolated.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Dr. B. I will start with the epsom salt soak and go from there. Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. Your rating is a 5 plus. If I need to follow up with you I will hopefully the soaking will clear it up. Again thanks for your help and I will keep you posted on how he is doing.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am glad to be able to help.
All the best,
Dr. B
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.