Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a female amazon parrot approx. 20 years old. She

I have a female amazon parrot approx. 20 years old. She began scratching her eye and it is now watering and the feathers are plucked out around it. We gave her a shower. Is this a parasite?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Lulu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?
Customer: She is a very healthy female and has been in the same house all of her life except for 8 weeks with the same mate Skipper
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where did u get fleas I never said that

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lulu. Simple trauma to the eye and an infectious conjunctivitis are the two main considerations in these parrots. Both can be adressed with an over the counter antibacterial ointment such as Terramycin which can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

Dosing is a "dab" of ointment thrice daily directly on top of the globe of the eye for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. The ointment shoud prevent secondary infection that can arise after the cornea (the clear window of the eye) has been traumatized and it contains the antibiotics of choice for addressing the usual bacterial infections found in a bird's eye. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(The artificial intelligence is prompted to mention the word "fleas" when "scratching" is posted by a customer.)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr. Salkin,
I took Lulu to Dr. Nicholson and he noticed that she had a growth in her mouth. He suggested x-rays and placed her on antiboitics. Her scratching of her eyes was just a reaction to the growth in her sinus. The biopsy results will be back on Wednesday. We put her under on Friday for surgery (15 minutes). Unfortunatley it had spread to over 75% of her cavity so it is very advanced. He removed the vast majority. She is on antibiotics for 4 weeks. I am taking my other bird Skipper in today to Dr. Nicholson for a checkup to insure he does not have this. I am still hopeful I can save my birds. I was hoping your response was the one the was correct but it was a much deeper one. I do thank you. Would you like to know the results of Wednesday? The good news is Lulu is eating, talking, flying and still sassy. There is hope.

Oh my. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Yes, I'll watch for your next post on Wednesday.