Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have 2 pekin ducks. 1 has normal gait the other looks to

Customer Question

I have 2 pekin ducks. 1 has normal gait the other looks to have extremely large hips and when standing the legs cross. They are 3 weeks old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds or anything. Had a slight limp when bought
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Waddles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Waddles?
Customer: Not sure how to tell males from females
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I would be suspicious of a pelvic injury in this young duck that has displaced its hip(s). It would need to be X-rayed to confirm such trauma but practically speaking your financial obligation may not be appropriate for your operation. Here is how to sex young ducks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0kqaA8balc

Sexing Adult Ducks (according to Metzger)
"This is fairly easy. After about eight weeks, the males have a deep, raspy voice. The females have the typical, loud QUACK. In addition, the males develop a curly feather on their tail. If you see a curly feather, it is a male. If there is no feather, it is either a female or a male that lost his curly feather. Males also have larger heads and thicker necks. Males of the Rouen, Mallard and Welsh Harlequin breeds also develop the green head and colorful wings by about 15 weeks of age. Until that age they all look like females. In addition, the bill of Rouen and Mallard drakes is dull green by six weeks of age, females' bills are normally dark brown and orange. The final way to determine the sex is that if you see them lay an egg... it is a female."

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?