Michelle Ward
Michelle Ward, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Riverview Animal Clinic
97917792

She has been sitting in the nesting box most of afternoon,

Customer Question

She has been sitting in the nesting box most of afternoon, maybe longer. Other birds are up roosting. I'm not sure but I'm thinking her eggs have been coming out soft or not at all? Hard to tell who is having the issue.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: Just not getting out of nesting box. Acting reclusive.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know. I don't pick this one up because she is runs. Should I pick her up and examine her. These are my first birds.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No. She is just wedged in and not moving. She did react when I touched her.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Name is Larry (not my fault!) she is a 9 month old wyindott
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Name?
Customer: No. But I can go try to examine her if that will help.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle Ward replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Michelle. You might look at her vent to see if it is pushed out like she might be eggbound, which means an egg is stuck. If this is a young bird, or she has been laying soft eggs, she may be low on calcium and the eggs are not forming properly. That would be the first thing I would check. If not eggbound, then separate her, offer heat support such as a heatlamp and see how she responds to that. How old is this hen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
8-9 months

Is your hen still sick? eating and drinking? do you have a rooster that may have injured her?