Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

It is a 2 week old silkie chicken. Yesterday the little tyke

Customer Question
It is a 2 week...
It is a 2 week old silkie chicken
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: Thank you. Yesterday the little tyke was getting around with no problems. This morning I found it under momma back leg stretched out and now when it moves both legs go out behind it. If I set him up he is alert and eats and balances himself with one wing. I have a heat lamp over him and a thermometer to check the heat but I don't know if he got squished and his legs are damaged or if it is more serious
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: He doesn't have a name just yet
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: Yes. I wait for their personalities to develop and then one just pops in my head. Lol
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about just?
Customer: This one's weight is much less than its other 3 siblings. I have him on save a chick electrolytes and made a watery mash with its fees
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/11/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I am so excited to be working with you again
I have so much rooster background noise it may be easier to text but I can try calling if you want

I'm sorry to hear of this chick. While trauma to the spinal cord or hips is a consideration in such a chick, you're correct to be concerned that a more serious infection is present. In most cases, a chick suffering from Marek's disease (herpesvirus) will present with a progressive paresis (weakness)/paralysis as you've described but this is rarely seen in chicks less than 4 weeks of age. His stunting and paresis/paralysis, however, does suggest a systemic infection, however, which can be of a bacterial, viral, or fungal etiology. I probably mentioned this in our previous conversation but it's worth doing so again. You'll have to consider this chick's financial worth to your operation before entertaining the diagnostics involved in clarifying why he's symptomatic in that matter. Culling and necropsy makes the most sense but that, too, is going to incur quite an expense.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Texting works great for me

Me too. You mentioned that he can be propped up. Can he stand, albeit with the help of his wings?

I read about mareks this morning and considered taking him to an avian vet to have him evaluated and put down humanely if necessary

I really think he's too young to consider Marek's but there are other infections that affect such a young chick - paromyxovirus, West Nile virus, e.g. Have you carefully examined his legs from the tip of his toes to his hips for erythema (redness) and swelling suggestive of injury/infection?

He tries to use his legs and one leg looks bigger maybe swollen . I think I need to take him to the vet and have it looked at and then decide. He is not chirping like he is in pain or anything. I am just stumped.

An injury is the best scenario but that wouldn't explain his stunting. I agree that a hand's on exam is best in these cases. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Will do. Thanks

I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian