Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a10 pounds rooster with an infected leg, started with

Customer Question

Hi!~ I have a10 pounds rooster with an infected leg, started with a nail that already came off , the nail was dark and thick . As soon as the nail came off puss started coming out. I put daily his foot in Epson salt with warm water and puss came out. Now where the nail was is healing so puss is not coming out.. so his foot is swollen.I add Neosporin, clean with povidone , wrap his foot and do daily. I am giving since Saturday the 6 of May penicillin injectable , 1cc. Help! please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: He eats and drinks very well. I have him in a separate dog crate with wooden shaving and keep the place clean for him
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You've done a good job of caring for your rooster but the swelling in his food indicates that penicillin isn't the best choice for his infection which isn't unusual because penicillin addresses a very narrow spectrum of bacteria. There's a good chance that the infection is now in this rooster's foot bones (osteomyelitis). Regretfully, the only other over the counter antibiotic still available for poultry is tylosin and that antibiotic, too, isn't a good choice for this type of infection. You'll need the services of an avian vet (www.aav.org) who might need to lance an abscessed foot and then perform a bacterial culture and sensitivity of the wound in order to determine which systemic antibiotic would be best. You're looking at a significant expense and so it's best to consider this rooster's financial value to your operation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.