Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

The baby bird fell out of a nest, predators around, don't

Customer Question

The baby bird fell out of a nest, predators around, don't know how long it ago it fell out of the nest. Tried to feed it a mixture of catfood soaked in water, mixed with bananas. the bird was hungry for the last 6 hours. I always checked that the bird swallowed the food but I just noticed a small nodule in the birds neck. I think it is food that it did not swallow completely. I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: its a bird that I found in our yard. I found it at 9AM. watched it so it wasn't eaten or attacked for 3 hours. I did not see any other bird approach it. I don't know its age. I think it is a sparrow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: It was pretty strong when I found it. There are no down feathers. There are pin feathers. It is pretty strong and can walk around.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The best approach is going to be finding a wildlife rehab in your area that can nurse this baby back to health and work to get it released back into the wild. Can you share your city and state with me so that I may look up resources that can best assist you?