Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My parakeets beak keeps growing longer, I've already had it

Customer Question

My parakeets beak keeps growing longer, I've already had it trimmed once and I don't think they did a good enough job. Also he has some kind of growth on the top of his beak, can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Squeaky?
Customer: No
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Squeaky's face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I suspect that that growth is his cere - a normal structure that can change shape (hypertrophy) as he matures. A beak that's overgrowing might be malaligned (malformed) and not wearing properly; other considerations include liver disease, mite infection (Cnemidocoptes) and lack of chewing opportunities.