Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My love bird is losing feathers around one eye and a little

Customer Question
Hi My love bird is...
Hi My love bird is losing feathers around one eye and a little by the nostril
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Cici 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cici?
Customer: I give her Guardian angel vitamins And probiotic Seeds and apple She doesn't look sick And she scratch around that eye but not bumbs or anything wrong with that area
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/9/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Lumi, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site.

Because focal skin infection is uncommon in birds and the feather loss abuts an eye and a nostril, it behooves an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) to examine the eye for conjunctivitis and the nostril for nasal discharge. When both are seen both bacterial respiratory infection and vitamin A deficiency are considered. The vitamin product you're administering contains ample vitamin A and so a deficiency isn't likely.

It's important to note that once a lovebird becomes it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within the flock. Have you heard any sneezing? Are you noticing an increased respiratory rate or dyspnea (difficulty in breathing)?

sneezing yes
but this she's doing once in a while
i already paid for this website
i have to pay again on wav.org?
i read myself about the same thing u r telling me but i need to know what to do dosage wise

Thank you. If we add sneezing to the mix, a bacterial or viral respiratory infection becomes an important consideration. Until she can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage.

Nutritional imbalances are a common problem in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

The www.aav.org site allows you to find an avian vet near you. We're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

yogurt and cheese for lovebird? lol

You bet. Mine dive into it. You'll read that pet birds are lactose intolerant but a small amount doesn't seem to bother them.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian