Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a cockatiel. His eye looks like he has a bit of

Customer Question

hi I have a cockatiel. His eye looks like he has a bit of conjunctivitis again. he has had it twice now and the vet we took him to last year gave us classic for it. We don't think that was the right treatment. Is there anything we can wash or spray his eye with at home to give him a bit of relief? he is a rescue bird and we don't want to take him to the vet if we don't have to because he is really scared and hates the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is about 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about mani?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we just want to know if there is anything we can do at home to help him out
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment (please see here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674) available online or in some pet/feed stores administered as a "dab" of ointment thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days is a good choice for infectious conjunctivitis in cockatiels.

Please clarify "...gave us classic for it." for me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi thank you so muchIs there a way to administer this ointment via a spray bottle or something if he doesn't let me come near his eye? Or is there a good way to get it on the eye as he is not too happy with me at the moment

You're welcome. No, it needs to be instilled directly on the eye which means that he would need to be carefully captured in a small towel and restrained. I regret that there's nothing that can be sprayed onto an eye. I need to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.