Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian
92155571

One female silkie has a disharge somewhere around her eyes.

Customer Question

One female silkie has a disharge somewhere around her eyes. Bad smell, crusts up. Sometimes her eyes wont even open.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Lucky - approximately one year old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: Not really - have been doing online research about Sulfadimethoxine,but haven't made a decision yet.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Lucky's troubles. A thick discharge from or around the eyes usually indicates a bacterial infection, either in the eyes themselves or in the respiratory system. Bacterial infections almost always need antibiotics to clear. Sulfa drugs such as sulfadimethoxine are a good choice. The dose is usually on the package and you want to make sure you treat for a couple days past when all symptoms are gone. Another good one is Terramycin powder. It can be found at most feed stores and can be added to the feed or a little yogurt. Again, treat for a couple days past when all symptoms are gone. Most infections take 7-10 to clear.

If you have other chickens, you should try to separate her as bacterial infections are contagious. Also, make sure she has plenty of fresh water and feed and a warm environment. You can use a warm, wet washcloth to wipe her eyes to make her more comfortable.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!