Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My Congo African grey got sick with a rare condition under

Customer Question
wings- unknown name. A local...
My Congo African grey got sick with a rare condition under wings- unknown name. A local vet has been treating her for four months. It started with an infection where skin breaks and gets infected creating a lesion; where the doctor has to scrap the skin every day until it heals. Have you ever heard of this or treated? If so what are aleternative treatments where we don't need to put the bird under everyday for months?
Desperate Bird Mom
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr.D, Bird Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr.D
Dr.D, Bird Veterinarian

Hello there \

Thank you for the question/ I am DrD \

I will try to answer to your question. I am not going to advise a treatment since I have not seen your bird and we do not know what it is .

Firstly , do you have a photograph of the lesion that you can post for my review . Secondly did your veterinarian send any skin samples to a pathologist to find out what kind of lesion he is dealing with ? Are there any x rays taken to see whether the infection has a relation with underlying wing bones ? Any blood tests ? Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Dr D;The local Dr. here had not done anything of the above as he claimed he new what it was. nut never said the name of it. He said he has treated this many times. Hard to treat, lengthy recovery. I will take a picture and send it to you. The problem I am having is that the doctor is saying that it came back after discharging the bird home for the weekend. Apparently he blames it to the zinc oxide cream he himself prescribed. While the bird was inpatient he was talking about have not figured out a way to prevent it from coming back. The bird seems to be comfortable so far but I am concern and wondering if I need a second opinion. I will send pictures. Thanks.

Thank you for the update. I wonder if you have any Avian specialist close to where you live. Please check this out and see : http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

What is happening with your bird ? What is the diagnosis of your veterinarian ? Would you like to continue with this request ? Is there anything else I can try to answer ?

Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian