Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I just had one of my parrots out and found a large

Customer Question

I just had one of my parrots out and found a large lump/tumor by his tail feathers. I tried to see his butt but I could not see it. I checked his cage and his dropping appear normal. His has feathers growing out of the lump but it looks and fells firm. Would feathers be growing out of a tumor area? He is a small macaw I think he is a Hans macaw (not sure how to spell "Hans" sorry.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Mr Magoo, I've had him for about 15 years, I got from a rescue that told me he was kept in a clothet (were you hang cloth) for 15 years. They asked me to take him as I was the only one that he had ever let touch him. I also was dong bird rescue at the time so I took him and I'm still the only one he doesn't bite and comes to when I can take him out of his cage. So maybe 30 years or older.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr Magoo?
Customer: He is a very bad feather picker. He has feathers on his head, top of this chest, wings and tail.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your quesiton, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Are you able to post a picture of this lump? If not would you say the lump is at the base of his tail on his back or at the base of his tail between his legs? D

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At the base of his tail on his back. It can only be seen at the top of his tail on his back. I have noticed. his tail feathers appeared to be hanging more down then how his tailed would be more sticking out at a 45 degree between his wings.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the description. This is almost certainly a tumor of the uropygial gland, otherwise known as the preening gland. In an normal uropygial gland it appears to be a thickened follicle with 1-3 stunted oil feathers growing out of it. If this becomes a tumor then it grows significantly larger and yes feathers can and often do grow out of it. In my experience about 50% are cancerous and 50% are not. The only way to "cure" these is with surgery. The main 2 risks of leaving it there is that these can bleed severely if picked at, and if it is cancer it usually can be cured if removed early. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except have a vet look at it quick and probably surgically remove it. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan