Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My chicken seems to be egg bound was laying 1 a day now she

Customer Question

My chicken seems to be egg bound was laying 1 a day now she just sits in the corner like she is going 2 lay but nothing. I have tried Roland's and warm baths but nothing.l am worried she is in pain
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

We need to differentiate if she's truly egg bound, brooding, or ill. An egg bound hen might walk like a penguin and squat as if to lay frequently. You might see a distended lower abdomen as well. Here's more information for you in this regard: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

A broody hen may act aggressively toward you when approached, resist being moved, show a diminished appetite and have less frequent but more voluminous droppings. Here's more information for you in this regard: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com//search?q=caring+for+broody+hens

If she's ill, there might be other symptoms. How old is she, please? Are you seeing conjunctivitis, nasal discharge, sneezing, coughing, increased respiratory rate, regurgitation/vomiting, diarrhea, pale comb/wattles, or lameness?

After reviewing those sites, what do you think is going on with her?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You confined what I knew tried treatment again if you know any more than backyard chickens web site it would be helpful I found that on my own without spending money, still no egg

I understand. Please contact***@******.*** to have your deposit refunded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is for sure egg bound, the massage and bath helps her poop but not get it out, I used ky on a glove and could not feel a egg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 7 months old