Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I was cleaning out my bird cage and I left the seeds that I

Customer Question

I was cleaning out my bird cage and I left the seeds that I had removed from my bird cage on the floor and my pet bunny ate some of them . Is this anything to be worried about
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I would not be concerned about this at all. In the wild, rabbits will eat many different types of seeds, & I often see them helping themselves to the spilled seed underneath my bird feeders.

Some of the seed may not be totally digested by Rocky, & you may see some remnants in the pellets he passes in the next day or so, but there is no reason his digestive tract will have any problems handling this.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you , so the bird won't carry any disease that can be spread to rocky Through the seed ?

I really do not think so, especially with a caged pet bird. Don't forget that rabbits consume those special fecal pellets that contain important nutrients, so Rocky's digestive system will easily handle any possible bacterial contamination. He will be fine.

Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

DrLinda1990