Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Bob quail sours on feet round

Customer Question
Bob white quail sours on...
Bob white quail sours on feet round balls
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
9/1/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

You've asked a simple and straightforward question but the answer is far from simple or straightforward. The sores represent pododermatitis (bumblefoot) and have many causes including excess weight bearing from obesity or unequal weight bearing between the two feet as a result of lameness of one foot, causing less weight to be placed on that foot and more on the contralateral foot, or from abnormal abrasions of the plantar surface from inappropriate substrate (too sharp or rough, wire, etc.), decreased blood supply to the foot (sometimes from lack of exercise), trauma (an important etiology), or standing for prolonged periods.

Pododermatitis is divided into varying grades depending on the literature source used but generally includes mild, moderate, and severe grades with the severe grades including osteomyelitis (bone infection). An avian vet will obtain a thorough history including environment and substrate. A thorough physical exam is necessary to determine if any other factors are present that may be contributing to or causing the pododermatitis. X-rays are performed to determine if osteomyelitis is present. I understand your logistical constraints, however, concerning the availability of an avian vet.

For mild cases of pododermatitis, changing to a softer substrate, exercise to increase blood supply to the foot, soaking the affected foot in warm water, and the use of keratin softeners (petrolatum jelly, A & D ointment, e.g.) may be all that's needed. The foot can also be soaked in a dilute chlorhexadine or iodine solution which are available in your local feed store. If there's a break in the skin, then soaking in a solution called Tricide-Neo with an antibiotic can speed healing. Please see here: http://ouroneacrefarm.com/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/

If the tissues of the foot are severely swollen then surgery may be indicated to remove pus or a large callous but it must be performed under anesthesia with pain relievers administered. There's likely to be considerable hemorrhage from the surgical site. Treatment then can include systemic antibiotics (Duramycin-10, e.g.), wound management and bandaging. You'll find many websites demonstrating how surgery is performed. Unless you're a quite experienced surgeon, I can't recommend your attempting this kind of surgery. Conservative analgesia can be provided by dissolving a 5 grain (325 mg) aspirin in 1 pint of water and using this water as the sole water source.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Birds are 2 weeks old their are 100

I can't imagine feet getting so infected in just 2 weeks but I can't think of anything else but bumblefoot that would look like sores/round balls. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative feet to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can send images to a friend of mine who's a specialist veterinary pathologist with an interest in birds for another opinion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think this bubble feet 5 to 10 balls on each foot birds are not on wire they on bacteria resistant paper changed every 4 days

You're likely to be correct. Are all 100 birds affected? Did they arrive this way? If so, can you send them back?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hatched them myself this is my last batch of 1500 no problems with the rest

Ah! Thank you. My pathologist friend and I need to see what you're seeing. Please see if you can upload a photo to our conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't no how to do that I'm on a iPhone

...and I'm iPhone illiterate. I'm going to pass on the information that you're seeing 5-10 sores/balls on each bob white quail foot and 100 out of 1500 are affected. I'll return to our conversation when I hear back from the pathologist. Are the sores separate from the balls or is each ball also a sore/broken skin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I rubbed the balls of only 5% bleed

OK, that's helpful. I should be back to you within 24 hours. Please be patient.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe just 1% ok

One more question...are the balls on top of or under the feet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under

Thank you. Talk to you soon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

I've sent a message to the pathologist. No need to reply at this time.

The pathologist needs a photo too but mentioned that the avian poxvirus should be considered particularly if you're having a problem with mosquitoes currently.

The best control for avian pox in captive (turkeys, pheasants, threatened and endangered species) and domestic (chickens and turkeys) birds is vaccination with a modified live vaccine. In wild birds, vaccination is not a feasible method of control.

Avian pox is a highly contagious disease and there are three primary control methods that can be used if infected birds are present. Artificial feeding, which can concentrate birds, should be stopped. Eliminating standing water will control the primary vector, the mosquito. Infected birds should be isolated or culled to remove the source of the virus. Feeders, waterers, birdbaths and cages should be decontaminated with a 10% bleach solution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Birds are in a controlled room with ac no standing water no moscquitos

Thank you. We're at a loss to tell you what those skin lesions represent and so I'm going to opt out which will allow other experts to enter this conversation with their ideas. Please don't reply to me which will dissuade other experts from contacting you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a photo is their a phone number that l can send it to
Bird Veterinarian: BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Suz***** *****-Vaino. I was perusing the veterinary questions and came upon yours. I don't know if Dr. Salkin is coming back to the conversation, but I'd be interested to see your photo. I'm a dog/cat vet but I do have an overall interest in infectious disease, and I have colleagues I can speak with who know more about birds, and pathology. I can share your photo with them and get their opinion. You're supposed to use the paperclip icon here to attach photos to the conversation. Please try that first. If not, can you email me the photo? I know you can do that with any smartphone. ***@******.*** and put QUAIL in the subject line. I'm not sure if JustAnswer permits this but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the Email address
BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian