Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

The comb is pale pink and on the side of its face they are

Customer Question
white the chicken always laying...
the comb is pale pink and on the side of its face they are white the chicken always laying down and hardly feeds
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/30/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you mean her wattles are white?

How long has she had these signs?

Any changes to her breathing?

Any black stools?

When was she last wormed?

Any history of toxins exposure or traumatic injury?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her wattles are a very light pink. Not quite white. The chickens are free range so I am not sure about the stool. Her breathing seems a bit laboured as she lays down. She lays down a lot. I'm not sure when she was wormed because they are not my chickens. I am just watching them whilst my neighbour is away. No history of toxic exposure or injury.

Thank you,

Based on the signs you are reporting, I am quite concerned about this lass.

Her paling alongside breathing changes raise 2 major concerns, anemia (blood loss) or possible respiratory compromise. Both are closely linked as the red blood cells circulate the oxygen taken in by the lung tissue. And I'd note that having low oxygen and/or blood levels would reduce her ability to be active and often they will just sit and try to use as little oxygen as possible to keep themselves from being pushed into a respiratory distress crisis.

In regards ***** ***** for this, we can see this arise suddenly with birds that have internal bleeding or have ingested anticoagulants (ie rat bait). We can also this when severe worm burdens come to a critical level. And it is possible to also see this with primary lung issues but her signs do sound like her labored breathing is a side effect of a bigger issue as opposed to a pneumonia or respiratory tract infection alone.

In this case, I would strongly advise ringing the bird's owner. Her signs suggest that this is already advanced and the risk of her deteriorating is high. Ideally, we'd want her owner to give you permission to take her to her vet to diagnose which issue is present and see if it can be treated for her. Or at the very least, the owner may wish for you to take her in for humane euthanasia so that this poor bird doesn't suffer.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Janet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian