Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Idk her third eye lid stays covered but her other eye is

Customer Question
fine she is eating drinking...
idk her third eye lid stays covered but her other eye is fine she is eating drinking and acting very normal wasn't sure wht I should do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Lilly and she is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?
Customer: nope healthy other than that
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by the way this is one of my Rhode Island Red chickens tht I have
8/28/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Any swelling around the eye? Can you send me a picture?

Can you get a close up of the affected eye

It looks like the cornea is cloudy. I am not appreciating that the third eyelid is raised. Have you tried to flush with some sterile eye drops?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I wasn't sure Wht to do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I do warm water until I get to the store

So first, get some sterile saline from a local drug store. It will be in the area where contact solution is. Couple of other questions. Don't do warm water. Can she see out of that eye? was there any discharge from the eye? Was your flock vaccinated for Mareks as day old chicks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She flinches so yes no discharge and yes they have been vaccinated for Mareks

to me, it looks like there is some blood around the upper outer aspect of that eye. Possibly some mild trauma to the conjunctiva. If it really looks like it is her third eyelid to you, then I would get the sterile saline and flush to see if it dislodges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you very much

Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. I have nine layers. They are a lot of fun. Take care

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you u too

were you able to flush the eye?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
katjadvm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you very much

Was it the third eyelid over the eye or a wound? Just curious. Has it resolved completely? Thank you for the follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian