Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My baby duck has an eye infection and I don't know what to

Customer Question

Hi my baby duck has an eye infection and I don't know what to do hes really weak and barely walks he was born yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there isn't
JA: How old is duck?
Customer: It's was just born yesterday
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about duck?
Customer: No its just the runt of the litter and hes really weak
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with this baby duck. Can you tell me, please, if he's able to eat and drink normally? If not, I need you to make a gruel out of duck pellets (or a 21%-22% protein chick starter with a niacin supplement) and force-feed the gruel by means of a small poultry baster (the irony) placed into his oral cavity - preferably under his tongue into his lower beak which lowers the risk of his aspirating it. His eye can be addressed with over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment administered as a "dab" into the eye thrice daily for a minimum 10 days. This ointment can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Marketing-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment/dp/B00063KGUK

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.