Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a beautiful well summer 2 year old hen, shes been the

Customer Question

i have a beautiful well summer 2 year old hen, shes been the best egg layer. now shes not laying, doing the penguin stand ,and her comb isnt prrety and red now its more orangey. now just this morning she is doing this srorta like shes tring o throw up thing or any way she stretches her neck out and then opens her mouth, could you please tell me what could be wrong
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Does she appear to be breathing heavier or faster?

Is the inside of her mouth yellow or orange discolored as well?

Does her belly look distended? Can you feel any eggs, any fluid, or is she very firm when you press?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no i "tried" to check about egg binding, as best i knew how and that didnt seem to be the problem and she just started this sorta like stretching her neck and then opening her beak this morning. im not sure about the inside of her beak color and i couldnt catch her a little bit ago when i tried. and nothing i noticed yesterday seemed different other than i think shes loosenig weight
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

That is good you could rule out binding, but I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass. If she has a yellow/orange tint to her comb and possibly her mouth, we'd be worried about liver damage or infection. That said, her gaping behavior is an even bigger worry as it is one we see with birds in respiratory distress. Causes for this include bacterial infection, viruses (ie fowl pox), protozoa (ie canker), and even throat obstructions. As well, if her liver is compromised, we can see odd breathing behaviors with metabolic imbalance.

Therefore, we do have some very serious concerns for your lass. So, we'd need to catch her and since she is gaping we would be best to have her seen by your local vet urgently. They can put her on oxygen and start checking for the above concerns to give her the best chance to surviving this situation.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.