Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My cockatoo has bad diarrhea and idk where to take her. I

Customer Question
My cockatoo has bad diarrhea...
My cockatoo has bad diarrhea and idk where to take her for help. I live between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington
Is there anything i can do for her until i can find a vet open that can see her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is an umbrella cockatoo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How are you going to contact me to lmk what to do?
7/3/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

In regard to your question, we do need to tread with care if she has severe diarrhea. This is because birds can become dehydrated very quickly which can make them feel poorly. As well, as diarrhea causes nutrient loss, we can see weight loss appear quite rapidly as well.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, as long as you aren't seeing blood in her stools, there are some steps you can take until her vet is open. To start, you do want to make sure she is eating and drinking well. The latter is especially important to counter her diarrhea losses, so if she isn't drinking as well as we'd like we may need to tempt her with fruit juice flavoured water or an electrolyte solution (ie Vit-al).

Otherwise, you can see if your local pet store carry an avian probiotic (ie Avipro plus, Bene-bac,etc) as this will support her gut and help normalize the gut bacteria present. And if she is very runny, then you can try her with 1-2 ml of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate to slow her diarrhea for her. As well, offering high fiber foods (ie canned/cooked pumpkin, brown rice, etc) can also help bulk up her diarrhea and help reduce it for her until she can be seen by her vet.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've had trouble getting her to drink, but she will eat, especially if it is something I'm eating
I am concerned about the smell. The diarrhea is extremely green, and the area around the vent/cloaca is stained. Last night, i saw that the cloacal area was bright red and appeared distended.
I bathed her and removed as much droppings as i could. The area didn't stay distended and i do not see any blood.

Hi again,

If she isn't drinking well, we may need to encourage or gently syringe fluids to keep her hydrated. As well, if you offer veggies/fruits (ie cucumbers, orange, apple, etc) these do have high water content and can sneak some more fluids into her. Otherwise, it sounds like she just has inflammation/swelling associated with the tissues being irritated by the feces. So, you were right to bathe them off and we'd want to keep doing so as needed. Otherwise, we need to focus on supportive care until she can be seen since green stools can be related to liver issues but with the odor could be a sign of a nasty bacterial infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian